Let me tell you about a story about when I worked in London and had a terrible boss. I was promoted to middle manager and I was over the moon. I knew I was promoted because I was great at my job. What I didn’t realise was that I would need to learn completely different skills to be a manager. It was not the same as the role I was doing. I was never shown how and I wasn’t very good. I worked in a very hard sales environment where there was a lot of competition. We were expected to manage a team as well as make sales and run a desk. It sound easy but the skills were completely different.
In hindsight, what do I wish I knew then that I know now?
1) I wish I knew what makes people tick. What makes people motivated to want to get up in the morning and go to work.
2) I wish I knew how to coach people. How to coach them on tasks so they can complete the task efficiently.
3) I wish I knew how to give good feedback. Feedback that was actionable and motivating, so they could grow and work more efficiently.
4) I wish I knew how to adapt to people, not take things personally and adapt to their behaviour. Then I wouldn’t have been as emotional and I would have been more rational in my decisions.
5) I wish I knew how to build relationships with my team, to motivate them and without stepping over the line and being too personal.
I am now a manager and I know I am good because I understand how to lead by example and manage people.
This is why I’m so passionate about helping middle managers. I know how difficult it can be to work with someone who is not motivating you to want to come to work. I also know how difficult it can be to work for someone who doesn’t help you take that step to being a middle manager, giving you the skills you needs to manage and lead a team. Call or email me today if you need help. I would love to come in and find out how I can help you and the other middle managers in your organization be happier and more efficient in the workplace.
Contact me to find out how I can help you manage your team more effectively. Behavioural Styles can be booked as an in-house course or alternatively my next open workshop is in Bristol in October 2018 more details here.